Re: [Fsuk-manchester] a little bit of good news

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] a little bit of good news
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 23:02:56 +0000

John Rooke wrote:
> This morning I was delighted to find that my phone/ISP, the Phone Co-op,
> is recommending its customers to use free software pdf readers to read
> its bills.

Well, free software is clearly in the consumer's interest, so a consumer
co-op should recommend it, shouldn't it? ;-)

Being a bit immodest, I think that started with the resolution I
proposed for its 2009 AGM which led to a discussion where I emailed them
things like this:

I'd not seen http://www.thephone.coop/support/internet/software.html
before but it seems to recommend the same old bad legacy software
(such as Acrobat Reader) even when faster free alternatives (such as
Sumatra) are available.

Member democracy FTW?  I'm not sure yet if I'll be in Manchester for the
Phone Co-op's AGM which I think is on 8 Feb.  Will any readers of this
be there?

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef), member of www.software.coop, a for-more-than-profit co-op