Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about non-free software on the list

From: Steffi Tinder
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about non-free software on the list
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 13:42:16 +0000

Interesting point. What I would like to know is if it is a fact that
people start using non-free software because of these instructions. I
find that very hard to imagine to be honest.

The instructions instruct users on how to use non-free software.  By
following the instructions, people will start using non-free software. I
have no data on the number of users that follow the instructions but my
expectation is that it would be non-zero.  In fact, I would be astounded
if there had never been a user that followed the instructions.

Of course there are people who follow the instructions. But do you think the existence of the instructions make them do it? Don't you think they would do it anyway?

Again, this is no statement of fact, but I would guess that the average person who installs Debian
* knows about the existence of non-free software
* makes a decision about non-free software before installing
* appreciates the freedom of choice

I wouldn't like it if a software distribution would try to lecture me by making things inconvenient.

Steffi