Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about non-free software on the list

From: Bob Ham
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about non-free software on the list
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 23:42:42 +0000

On Fri, 2013-03-08 at 16:57 +0000, John wrote:

> It is hard to persuade people to
> only use software listed by FSF which are based on Ubuntu which in turn
> is based on Debian but not mention Debian because it mentions non free
> software.

Inheriting the free software from a distribution doesn't necessarily
mean inheriting their attitude toward freedom, or their statements about
software, or their non-free software.

> To me a page that says Debian
> cannot be recommended is equivalent to the Debian documentation
> that says non free software does exist in the world.

The issue with Debian is not that they mention the existence of non-free
software in the world.  Mentioning the existence of non-free software is
not against the FSF's Guidelines.  Encouraging the use of non-free
software is.

Regardless, the main sticking point with Debian is that they provide a
repository of non-free software.

> It is hard to speak to people and persuade them that using a
> distribution that does not just work with their hardware is a step to
> giving them freedom.

Indeed it is difficult.  But this is our task :-)

--
Bob Ham <address@hidden>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }