[Fsuk-manchester] Fight state sponsored software monopolies this weekend

From: Sam Tuke
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Fight state sponsored software monopolies this weekend
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 14:01:46 +0100

This Saturday at 3pm activists are coming together in Manchester's MadLab to tell the British Government to stop enforcing proprietary software dominance, and remove tax funded adverts for non-Free PDF applications.

The event has already caused a stir, as you can read on PCWorld:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/237675/free_software_activists_to_stop_uk_govt_promotion_of_adobe.html

http://www.cfoworld.com/strategic-finance/17361/free-software-activists-stop-uk-promotion-adobe

*We need as many people as possible* to come and find new adverts on publicly funded British websites, and contact the organisations responsible, asking them to stop misleading UK citizens into giving up their digital rights.

*How will it work?*

The group will be split into two teams. So far less than 50 UK adverts have been found, but there are many hundreds as yet unreported. The first group will uncover as many more of these adverts as possible so that we can pressure the organisations responsible. The second group will sign and print letters to the reported institutions. The two groups will switch roles at half time.

We need lots of independent ad-hunters, so bring your own laptop if you have one.

*Pizza and cake provided*! Drinks available for purchase with proceeds supporting MadLab.

MadLad event page:
http://madlab.org.uk/content/stamp-out-the-ads-free-software-pdf-reader-
sprint/

Campaign homepage:
http://fsfe.org/campaigns/pdfreaders

Report an advert from a UK website:
http://fsfe.org/campaigns/pdfreaders/bug-report-uk.en.html

List of UK adverts already reported:
http://fsfe.org/campaigns/pdfreaders/buglist.en.html#GB

Website about Free Software PDF Readers:
http://pdfreaders.org/

See you there!

Sam.
--