RE: [Fsuk-manchester] Manchester Free Software and Facebook

From: Luke Taylor
Subject: RE: [Fsuk-manchester] Manchester Free Software and Facebook
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 01:21:56 +0000

> Simon,
> it is your choice of reference, Occam did it before and
> more people will have heard (hurd) of him. Personally I have no
> idols.

At the risk of getting embroiled in something awful and bitchy....

I don't think that:

"A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a
simple system that works"

is just a re-statement of " The explanation that makes the fewest assumptions is the most likely one to be correct." or whatever your version of Occam's razor is. It seems to be saying something quite different unless I have really mis-understood what John Gall is trying to tell us. Also, quoting a quotable quote doesn't mean that you are idolizing the quoter, just giving credit where credit is due for some clever or insightful observation that you wish to share.

I like a lot of the stuff Emma Goldman says so I am going to share one now:

"it requires less mental effort to condemn than to think."

She was alright, she was.

Luke