Re: [Fsuk-manchester] ubuntu on click

From: Dr Andrew John Hughes
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] ubuntu on click
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 00:31:43 +0000

On 19 March 2011 14:28, Tom Chiverton <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > Well, untill they start encrypting the EPG that is...
>

>> You don't need the EPG to record the video stream.
>
> It's like when VCRs didn't have timers...

Actually it's just like a VCR with a timer.  Without an EPG, you have
to enter the start and end times manually, and hope they are actually
adhered to by the broadcaster.  With one, you can tell it to record
programme X and it will handle the timing.

I think the Huffman encoding they want to use goes further though and
would also mess up basic meta-information like video stream X and
audio stream Y create channel Z.  It's still possible to manually work
out those associations, but you then also have to do that every time
they change (which I've seen happen a lot over DVB-T) and it
completely ruins channel detection.