Re: [Fsuk-manchester] ubuntu on click

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] ubuntu on click
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 16:17:58 +0000 (GMT)

Tom Chiverton wrote:
> On Monday 28 February 2011 15:07:54 MJ Ray wrote:
> > times a week - what the mainstream calls digital TV - so why all the
> > stupidity online?  So anyone can record the above show once more at
> > 03:30 Thursday on BBC News Channel without needing non-free software.
>
> Well, untill they start encrypting the EPG that is...

You don't need the EPG to record the video stream.

That's just as well, because the bloody stupid way that the EPG is
sent for Freesat that means most standard DVB-S receivers won't read
it.  Recievers used in most of Europe are a fraction of the price of
UK ones that have paid for the non-free Freesat logo: a receiver that
can record and timeshift onto USB media (viewable on mplayer) costs
about £45 instead of the £200+ for Freesat+ (non-removable hard disk).
Freesat is marginally better than Sky, but not free as we know it.

I think you can get the Freesat EPG working with a MythTV, but it's
easier to use one of the ones that downloads from websites.

Things like that and the way the BBC was celebrating Ceefax's
anniversary one month, then killing it a few months later, remind me
why I'm a bit grumpy about UK public service (hah!) broadcasters.

</rant>

Hope that informs,
Webmaster, Debian Developer, Past Koha RM, statistician, former lecturer.
Available for hire for various work http://www.software.coop/products/