Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Omniversity of Manchester - Internet of Things Cou

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Omniversity of Manchester - Internet of Things Course
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 16:00:11 +0000

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 03:03:42PM +0000, Michael Dorrington wrote:
> > There is an argument for boycotting any site or anyone that uses
> > non‐free software in an attempt to reduce the use of free software, but
>                                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>                                        hope you mean non-free software!

Any rumours of my affiliation with Manchester Proprietary Software are
completely unfounded.

> That was not my concern but on that note I think we should try to
> persuade Madlab to use free software but not boycott them over it. But
> we should let them know that we don't want to use non-free software. For
> instance, when it was suggested they get a phone so people could speak
> to them they suggested using Skype. I said that they can do that but we
> won't use it because its not free software and we would prefer just a
> normal telephone to ring.

Skype is much more clear cut, because it requires both participants to
use non‐free software. A web page (like the survey) can easily be built
on non‐free software, but not require the the person visiting the page
use non‐free software.

simple system that works.—John Gall