Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Omniversity of Manchester - Internet of Things Cou

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Omniversity of Manchester - Internet of Things Course
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 15:03:42 +0000

Simon Ward wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 01:00:15PM +0000, Michael Dorrington wrote:
>>> [Madlab] are seeking to provide more courses, and want to know what people
>>> are interested in.  Please complete the survey:
>>>
>>> https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/madlab.org.uk/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dFZBaXVsdFRtWG84UmpBOUdmeFBGOUE6MQ#gid=0
>> I didn't post that link because it requires the use of non-free software.
>
> Arguably, yes it does, but that’s Madlab’s software freedom at stake
> more than it is yours.

My concern was that it required the viewer and user to run non-free
software on their computer not that Madlab were using non-free software.

>> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.html
>
> This article is something to bear in mind if you are considering using
> such web applications, but you are not required to use Google Docs to
> complete the survey above.  The form is a simple HTML form, and may be
> completed and submitted with Javascript disabled.

I didn't realise that the form could be submit with Javascript disabled.
Having tested that, it appears that it can.

> There is an argument for boycotting any site or anyone that uses
> non‐free software in an attempt to reduce the use of free software, but
                                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                       hope you mean non-free software!

> I find that impractical… I browse to a lot of web sites, regardless of
> whether they use Apache or Microsoft IIS for example.  If I didn’t use
> Header Spy and Wappalyzer in Firefox, I wouldn’t even know what
> technologies are in use on a large number of sites.

That was not my concern but on that note I think we should try to
persuade Madlab to use free software but not boycott them over it. But
we should let them know that we don't want to use non-free software. For
instance, when it was suggested they get a phone so people could speak
to them they suggested using Skype. I said that they can do that but we
won't use it because its not free software and we would prefer just a
normal telephone to ring.

Mike.