Re: [Fsuk-manchester] ManLUG Meeting 26th February 2011

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] ManLUG Meeting 26th February 2011
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 22:15:42 +0000

On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 06:33:15PM +0000, Michael Dorrington wrote:
> >> Yes, although you won’t often see the Mail-Followup-To header in MUAs.
> >> You’re more likely to see it in the To header for mail sent to the
> >> man-lug list, assuming you subscribe to it.

The Mail-Followup-To header is set by my MUA, Mutt, by default, for
lists I am subscribed to.  I think it serves a different, but
complementary purpose to List-Post, but I don’t think the debate needs
re‐hashing.  Just a google for Mail-Followup-To will find D. J.
Bernstein’s page on it, and a further search for the same on the IETF
lists will find the discussion about the draft.

> The mail Simon sent to the ManLUG list had a To field of just:
>
> To:           address@hidden

This may well have been re‐written, boo.

> There isn't List-Post header in Simon's ManLUG email.

ListServ, a proprietary mailing list software that is now mandated by
Manchester Universit, does not and does not intend to support various
List-* headers.  I don’t particularly like proprietary software vendors,
but when they can’t even be arsed to implement open standards my
feelings involve words I won’t repeat on this list.

simple system that works.—John Gall