Re: [Fsuk-manchester] The 4 freedoms in every day life

From: Llewyn
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] The 4 freedoms in every day life
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 17:45:16 +0000

>Freedom 0: The freedom to run the program for any purpose

In addition to protecting my privacy; I often utilise Tor (and other
software) to make stand/point/vote regarding its need/use, as well as,
to support individuals who can use my system for access to the W3

>Freedom 1: The freedom to study how the program works, and change it to
make it do what you wish

As a non-hacker/powernewb I have learnt a great deal about how systems
work because of my use of libre software, as well as, have been able to
geek out on creating my own log-in screens, conky & tint2 set-ups,
etc... and have gained many advantages through using a terminal for
things that often take longer through a GUI

>Freedom 2: The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your
neighbour

I have sorted so many friends systems through the addition of everything
from simple office and audio replacements like AbiWord and Audacity -to-
a complete reinstall of various GNU/Linux distros... to many to mention.

When I was working in social services back in the states, I worked in a
drop-in for youth experiencing homelessness, libre software was able to
help me explore music and video editing/mixing with many of the
participants.

>Freedom 3: The freedom to improve the program, and release your
improvements (and modified versions in general) to the public, so that
the whole community benefits.

The communities around F/LOSS make it incredibly easy to contribute as a
non-hacker... whether its through a simple bug report or testing out
Firefox 4.0 before release

Anna thanks for asking... these are just thoughts off the top of my
head.. Just wanted to share while thinking about it.

On a similar note... in addition to the Four Freedoms, I am particularly
fond of Debian's (Free Software Guidelines).. as several can easily
apply to a larger context rather than simply the software itself...

#3 = remix/reuse/recycle #4 = attribution (like CC) #5 = is just basic
social justice!  etc...

1. Free redistribution.
2. Inclusion of source code.
3. Allowing for modifications and derived works.
4. Integrity of the author's source code (as a compromise for the likes
of TeX[citation needed]).
5. No discrimination against persons or groups.
6. No discrimination against fields of endeavour, like commercial use.
7. The license needs to apply to all to whom the program is
redistributed.
8. License must not be specific to Debian, basically a reiteration of
the last point.
9. License must not contaminate other software.
10. The GPL, BSD, and Artistic licenses are examples of licenses
considered free.

evr
fwd
/|\