[Fsuk-manchester] The 4 freedoms in every day life

From: Anna Morris
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] The 4 freedoms in every day life
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 16:01:56 +0000

Dear all, I was wondering if you could have a think about ways in
which the 4 freedoms affect the user of the software, the kind of help
your neighbour scenario, where they would be able to do something that
they could not do with non-free software.

For example,

freedom 2: distribute. My friends computer broke so I got my old
laptop (that was too old to work with windows/didn't have windows on
it) and I installed ubuntu and gave it to her. She needed a program to
help her learn to touch type so she installed that and sent me a copy
so I could use it.

I would really like a wide variety of everyday/real life situations to
choose from for examples of the FS freedoms in action, so I don't want
to think them all up myself.

Its quite important that the are examples that apply to people who
have few technical skills though - of-course we can also give examples
of how its different for businesses and for programmers and for
students, but these will be secondary examples as they will "mean
less" to the attendees.

Hope you are all well

Anna