Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu 9.10 Release Party - 30th October

From: James Hargreaves
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu 9.10 Release Party - 30th October
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 11:56:26 +0100

Most people probably don't realise it, but by creating this discussion/argument about the fundamentals of software freedom in this mailing list, the launch party is already benefiting the greater cause of software freedom. Anything that promotes discourse on FOSS vs. proprietary software is a good thing!

Users migrating from Windows have certain expectations of their software which unfortunately (at the moment) can only be met by the inclusion/advertisement of proprietary software. Ubuntu is tailored to Windows users who are inquisitive about Linux, it's hands-off approach is familiar to them. it brings more and more people into the Linux camp every day.

Why is this important? Because intelligent and inquisitive users often explore the philosophy behind GNU/Linux by themselves. Ubuntu is getting Linux to the masses. It's a good first step on the path to GNUdom, and we should be promoting it.

As a free software organization, it's our duty to ensure that we don't just install linux on people's computers, we have to educate them about GNU philosophy too. Where better to do so than at a Ubuntu launch party? If you really really believe in software freedom, you should see this as an opportunity to spread the GNU philosophy to people who are interested and prepared to listen!

Be proactive about free software, not elitist.
--James