Re: [Fsuk-manchester] 2009 Meetings - Alternating Talks and Socials?

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] 2009 Meetings - Alternating Talks and Socials?
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 23:55:08 +0000

Dave Page wrote:
One thing discussed at the last Manchester Free Software meeting was our schedule of talks for 2009. We've done a pretty good job of organising speakers on various aspects of free software and free culture since starting off a year ago, but it's not been easy, particularly with so few people attending meetings and volunteering to help. A lot of them have been organised at short notice, with very little in the way of publicity.

How do people feel about the idea of spending 2009 alternating talks and general social events? Personally, I feel that organising a speaker every two months would give us more time to organise them, further in advance, and to publicise them wider so we can make an effort to reach out beyond the geek communities rather than preaching to the converted.

The "off month" could be a general get together, perhaps with some lightning talks, or possibly even more project-oriented work.

I agree with that for the reasons Dave gave and Lucy's reasons. I think the 'big' talks can make us a bit too academic, formal and passive. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the talks but I want to get people active in free software and related topics. I'd like us to run other things as well like discussions, workshops, lightning talks, reports on our projects, etc. I would like to get people enthused and to realise that don't have to be a programmer or a genius to contribute to free software and a free society.

M.