Re: A new user to GNU/Linux WAS: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] the non-free neig

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: A new user to GNU/Linux WAS: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] the non-free neighbour asking for help dilemma
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 20:54:58 +0100

John Southern wrote:
Wow! And I thought I helped my brother a lot. Then again he does owe me beer.

Well, when they are technically inept [and] using Windows, you have to take pity on them. :P

Fully agree. You did the right thing.

Initially, I think my brother aim was simply to resize a few partitions
and reinstall Windows XP, however I think it probably went something
like this for him: http://xkcd.com/349/

I live this daily.

Heh. I'm hoping to give my impression that installing a program etc. won't result in this for him on gnu/linux

He also made it clear he wanted to be able to rip DVDs which I knew
there was some software for (I think I chose Thoggen), and to be able to
burn DVDs(video&data)/CDs etc. K3B was my first choice here as his
complaint about Brasseo (or what ever the gnome cd burning thing) which
he had tested and USED on a gNewSense LiveCD was that it was too simple
and did not even say the file sizes of files he had added to a project.

K9copy is the DVD equivalent to K3B

cheers, I do remember looking at it when I thought I had the same needs as my brother, quite a while back now.
I'll let him know about it.

Icedtea Java works for pretty much everything I use except the facebook
photos uploader. I know my brother uses facebook, so that is out.

Not come across IcedTea Java.

aptitude install icedtea-gcjwebplugin

this will hopefully install what you need to have a java browser plugin which works on *practically* everything.

my copy of azereus uses iced-tea java too

For youtube you may enjoy apt-get youtube-dl

if you hunt around on google, you will also find an iplayer-dl script

I'll keep you updated...

Thank you.

In the meantime I am fighting with gNewSense. It has now been five days and I am struggling.

I had planned to only use it for a week and then see whether I could live with it on a permanent basis. The rate I am going I will have to give it a little longer as it is causing such difficulties that I find myself daydreaming about sending the whole of FSF hate mail, putting a Gnu on a barbecue and never saying a bad word about not getting source code again.

I am currently running Gobuntu Hardy, and am considering moving to gnewsense 2.0
I will recommend it to people when:
1) I have used it for at least a month
2) the release schedule is more frequent, hopefully the same as ubuntu's
3) there is a user friendly upgrade path
4) there are a few more scripts like youtube-dl and a few GUI's to go with them etc. alternatively GNASH works on 90% of websites I and the potential user use.

Until then everything I do will be on a case by case basis, and we should all try and make these things possible, lending a hand and helping with gnewsense is probably the easiest way, even if it is just answering 2 newbie questions on a mailing list per week.

I will solider on in the hope of divine inspiration will strike me and I will see sense.

Let us know how it is going and (if at all) we can help. :)

Tim

--
www.tdobson.net
----