[Fsfe-uk] Payments into the AFFS bank account

From: John¹
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Payments into the AFFS bank account
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 07:54:22 +0000

I have been contacted by an individual who informs me that he recently
renewed his membership. I am in the process of clarifying this with him.

Again I will point out:  I will be replying to no further posts or emails
from any one subscribed to this list, other than those who I believe to be
currently paid up members of the AFFS, or the current signatories of its
bank account.

Let me make some points clear in order that there is no further loss of
money to anyone who makes payments INTO the AFFS bank account.

1) Banks, as long as the destination account is given will accept any
payment. The provisions of the AFFS constitution "...Any assets remaining
after the satisfaction of any proper debts and liabilities shall be given
or transferred to such other charitable institution or institutions having
objects similar to the objects of the Association..." would seem to
indicate that payments into the account be they subscriptions or donations
are not returnable.

2) Unless one has been paying subscriptions continuously since the last
valid AGM, then membership will have lapsed when the individual
subscription was not renewed, either in the case of resignation, or in the
cases of it not being made, or it being returned. All applications
to 'renew' lapsed membership however they may have become lapsed,
will/would have to be made to a new 'Executive Committee', made up of
elected members having the power to vote, Honourary members do not have
the power to vote.

3) Should the AFFS be wound up its assets will be disbursed as stated
above, "... shall be given or transferred to such other charitable
institution or institutions having objects similar to the objects of the
Association...". It would therefore not be possible to refund any money
paid into the account for either membership applications or donations.

4) I would suggest that anyone other than a current paid up member, DOES
NOT PAY ANY MONEY INTO THE AFFS, AS YOU MAY BE ADDING TO AN
IRRECOVERABLE POT OF MONEY.

--
John Seago
GNU/Linux Registered User No. #219566 http://counter.li.org/