Re: [Fsfe-uk] Web survey software, was: GNU/Linux users - sign petition

From: Rob Myers
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Web survey software, was: GNU/Linux users - sign petition to say you use BBC web site!
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 23:28:30 +0100

Dave Crossland wrote:
2008/8/26 Rob Myers <address@hidden>:
With a scripting language such as PHP, BY-SA's lack of a source code
provision clause is less harmful as there is no separation of source code
and executable. So it's broadly equivalent to the GPL's copyleft on source
code,

Isn't BY-SA ~= LGPL?

I Am Not A Lawyer, This Is Not Legal Advice.

The scope of BY-SA depends how you define "derivatives" of the licenced work. If you define them narrowly, then BY-SA is like LGPL. If you define them broadly, it is like the GPL.

Basically it comes down to which US circuit court's decision you cite.

What the situation in the EU and the UK would be I don't know. I'd be *very* interested to find out.

But BY-SA doesn't have a source provision clause either way.

- Rob.