Re: [Fsfe-uk] Web survey software, was: GNU/Linux users - sign petition

From: Rob Myers
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Web survey software, was: GNU/Linux users - sign petition to say you use BBC web site!
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:46:40 +0100

MJ Ray wrote:
I'm a bit puzzled by this use of
CC-By-SA.  Creative Commons themselves don't recommend it and include
the GNU GPL and BSD-style licences in their collection.  See
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/FFAQ#Can_I_license_software_using_CC_licenses.3F

BY-SA isn't for software, no.

> Is it still free software?

With a scripting language such as PHP, BY-SA's lack of a source code provision clause is less harmful as there is no separation of source code and executable. So it's broadly equivalent to the GPL's copyleft on source code, and just as useless for web service software.

(We then get into what copyleft means for web service applications. I suggest the AGPL, you object, and we move on to the next topic. ;-) )

- Rob.