Re: [Fsfe-uk] ImCoSys smartphone or other GNU Linux mobile phones?

From: Jon Grant
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] ImCoSys smartphone or other GNU Linux mobile phones?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:24:18 +0100

On 28/07/06 17:46, Benedikt Wildenhain wrote:
On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 05:13:10PM +0100, Jon Grant wrote:
I saw [0] ImCoSys mobile was available (298 Euro + VAT and delivery cost) with a 2 month queue on orders at present which looked quite a good mobile.

I wouldn't call this phone a GNU Linux one: There won't be a public
available SDK to write Linux applications, the vendor says that it is
only possible to install java applications for usual customers of the
phone. A German distributor even writes that there is a "non-GPL Linux"
on the phone, which seems to be illegal to me.

That's a shame, it did look so promising.

They were responding to my enquiries until i got this response just now:

".. sorry but as manufacturer we haven't the possibility for individual
sales
consulting. Maybe end of next year you find our Smartphone in Shops in UK."

I had been impressed that they were responding to my queries.

Is anyone familiar with any other UK/EU compatible mobile phones running Free
Software ?

Cheers
Jon
--