Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software patent

From: P.L.Hayes
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software patent
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 15:52:42 +0100

Alex Hudson <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, 2006-07-28 at 13:58 +0100, Ian Lynch wrote:
>> Is there no lobbying process? This is a good example of why software
>> patents are a nonsense so fighting this one with a high public profile
>> would illustrate the point and provide a case that would help in any
>> future battles in the EU.
>
> I don't believe there is, simply because it's supposed to be a matter of
> fact.
>
> Until it's come up on address@hidden, you've not even really got something to
> campaign about anyway :/

Ian may find this post on NSP.com helpful:

http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=2107&highlight=#2107

Speaking of high public profile fights, I wonder why FFII et al have
made so little noise about the recent TBoA decision to grant that
dreadful Microsoft clipboard patent. It looked like a heaven-sent
opportunity to expose both their hubris and their incompetence to me.
I felt the same way about the EPO's website link to the discredited
(and now defunct, I think) C4C site but nothing much has been said
about that either. Perhaps I'm missing something but it seems to me
that the FFII is passing up some extraordinary opportunities.

Paul.