Re: [Fsfe-uk] Sad innit?

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Sad innit?
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 18:07:06 +0000

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 10:04, Paul Mobbs wrote:
> Sad innit? -- kids being taught to think "inside the box" rather than
> "outside
> the box", and definitely not out of their gourds!
>
> Pity people haven't got more time to produce an alternative view -- anyone
> read Courtney Loves, "Courtney Does the Math"?
>
> P.
>

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4055753.stm
>
> Pupils to get anti-piracy lessons
> By Caroline Briggs
> BBC News entertainment reporter
>
> Lessons on music piracy and copyright issues are to be taught to secondary
> school pupils in the UK.
>
> The lessons, aimed at 11 to 14-year-olds, will introduce them to copyright -
> including the issues of downloading from the internet and the illegal copying
> of CDs - and its role in protecting creativity.

That's fine, good teachers will direct them to the legal sources of
stuff that's just as good and without the restrictions. The INGOTs
already deal with some of these issues and impress upon students why its
OK to download OOo but not MSO. We have nothng at all to fear from
education.

>  Music piracy, including illegally swapping music online, costs the UK music
> industry millions every year and has been blamed for a decline in world-wide
> CD sales.

DO you really think that giving pupils lessons in this will make any
significant difference to download piracy? If anything it will probably
give ideas to kids who never gave it much thought ;-)

> British Music Rights (BMR) - which was formed to represent the interests of
> songwriters and composers - worked with education experts to put together a
> learning pack.

They really are desperate!

--
Ian Lynch <address@hidden>