Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bromcom undead ?

From: Ralph Janke
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bromcom undead ?
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:19:47 +0000

Robin Green wrote:

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 10:02:17AM +0000, Ralph Janke wrote:
That would be found true today, I suppose. However, the judge decided in the year when Bromcom "invented" and patented it, it was a knowledge only a radio technology expert would have had, but not somebody employed by a school running a computer network and deploying a registration system.

Is that really what the judge said? This is a really pernicious legal doctrine.
It implies that you can get around even the non-obviousness requirement
by... selling to customers totally unskilled in the relevant art(s)? Bizarre!

Yes, that was the main argument in his judgment regarding the novelty of claim 7. As I have gathered, this judge is
somehow expererienced in patent cases, which make it even worse.

Therefore, I would despute the novelty or non-obvious assessment of the judge. However because of legal reasons, I
believe nothing can be done in that way.

I would hope that, if nothing else, an appeal can be raised based on the
claim that the legal doctrine the judge is employing to decide something
"non-obvious" or "novel", does not make sense.

I am not sure if it would be considered a judgment of fact or the legal interpretation of the meaning of "novel" or "obvious". I guess it could be seen as borderline... Judgement of facts can not be appealed in the UK legal system, while
the application of law can.

Ralph