Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bromcom undead ?

From: Ralph Janke
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bromcom undead ?
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:53:34 +0000

James Heald wrote:

Ian Lynch wrote:

My understanding was that the bit that was upheld was some specific and
fairly obscure protocols that were implemented in the original systems.
This means that general purpose wireless networking was OK, but you
couldn't use the specific protocils BromCom "invented". Not much of a
problem since I know of no-one who needs to use these.

My impression was also that the general claims for trasfer of pupil data by wireless were struck out, but that some aspects of Bromcom's protocols were left standing.

Are we reasonably confident that common-or-garden WiFi couldn't be interpreted as making use of the Bromcom patented protocols ?

This statement is true. According to the verdict claim 1 and 2 which describe the general principle of using wireless technology and or a management system for student attendance were struck down.

Claim 7 was upheld which describes basically the slotted alloha protocol and how to use it with specific tranceivers. And a very specific way of neogtiation protocol. I am still not 100% sure how far this can be stretched. I am quite comfortably sure that bridging a network via a wireless bridge would not be violating this claim, however using tablet pcs or palms using this specific protocol might.

In constrast, I still don't understand the judges argument that it was not obvious to use slotted alloha protocol for wireless transmission, since a normal school IT technician would not have the knowledge to do so. Fact is that slotted alloha was long before use on cable as well as wireless (satellite communication) and therefore the claim is either obvious, definatly not novel and should be struck down as well..

However this point will either stay to be a secret of the judge, or if one of both sides will continue legal proceedings, maybe we will see clarification. However, I don't know how Dfes should appeal this point, since the wrong decision is probably based on a wrong judgement of facts, not a matter of law. Therefore appeal seems unlikely. However, if a particular school would use wireless technology and would be suit by Bromcom (Frontline Technology), Bromcom would have to prove that the school is using the identical way of protocol and negotiation. IT seems very unlikely that they will ever be able to do so.

Mr. Clarke's statement is IMHO a typical statement of a boneless politician. Never take one. He wants to play it both ways, not offend any companies that this government is in bed with, however don't want to be seen as wasting tapayers money through the schools. I find it very disturbing that in the end the Governors and the Headteacher are made responsible for the mess that this Government and the EU are creating with the continous insistence that can obtain a Government protected monopoly for every trivial thought put as algorithm into a physical device. No software ever runs without a computer, no algorithm ever achies anything without an implementation. Therefore the statement that they do not allow software patents are ridiculous....

P.S. I am planning to move to Canada, the only country in the western world I know of, that has not followed the stupid idea of allowing software patents......

Ralph