[Fsfe-uk] social exclusion and IT

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] social exclusion and IT
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:00:54 +0000

Continuing today's trawl through government/IT/free software related news...

The government social exclusion unit are running a survey as the basis for future policy on IT in relation to social exclusion. Considering that at the moment the Brazilian government are basing their entire 'end the digital divide' campaign on free software, there's obviously a lot of advantages of free software in this area. If there's anyone around working with this kind of thing, the questionnaire actually looks quite usable (well, apart from being a word document): as well as the fixed option questions there are a lot of 'suggest something yourself' boxes. Unfortunately the questionnaire tails off into 'how can we convince everyone its in their interests to have all their data in different departments tied together with an ID car...^H^H^H^H somehow' which I'm a bit allergic to.

Anyone wanting to give it a go:
general background:
http://www.socialexclusion.gov.uk/page.asp?id=499
questionnaire: