Re: [Fsfe-uk] osc? who?

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] osc? who?
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:32:30 +0000

Alex Hudson wrote:

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 21:58 +0000, Graham Seaman wrote:
Anyone know about the open source consortium: http://www.opensourceconsortium.org/ ?

Given the list of 60 odd companies providing open source/free software services, is there any overlap with the AFFS? What about their certification ('OSC Business Standard')? Anyone got this? What is it?

There isn't really any overlap with the AFFS; the OSC is a group of
companies who've agreed to attempt to collectively tender for large
public contracts.

I meant in terms of people - surely some of those 60 companies are also members of the AFFS (if not, why not?). I was also curious about their larger backers, if any. I saw John Terpstra was involved; as far as I know (which really isn't much and may be wrong) his current agenda is fairly aligned with Sun's. On the other hand I just clickede that Turo technology is in there - maybe MJ is the power behind the throne ;-)

I would ignore the stuff about the business standard
for now, it seems nascent and actually more to do with grounding a
business in ISO9000 processes than anything else.

Amusingly with all the standards stuff on the site, a lot seems to be cut-and-pasted - check the meta copyright tag :-)

Graham