[Fsfe-uk] Firefox browser takes on Microsoft

From: Paul Mobbs
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Firefox browser takes on Microsoft
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 19:51:12 +0000

Firefox browser takes on Microsoft

BBC News Online,
Tuesday, 9 November, 2004, 11:19 GMT

Microsoft's Internet Explorer has a serious rival in the long-awaited Firefox
1.0 web browser, which has just been released.

Few people get excited when some new software is released, especially when the
program is not a game or a music or movie player.

But the release of the first full version of Firefox has managed to drum up a
respectable amount of pre-launch fervour.

Fans of the software have banded together to raise cash to pay for an advert
in the New York Times announcing that version 1.0 of the browser is
available.

The release of Firefox 1.0 on 9 November might even cause a few heads to turn
at Microsoft because the program is steadily winning people away from the
software giant's Internet Explorer browser.

<SNIP>

--

==============

"We are not for names, nor men, nor titles of Government, nor are we for
this party nor against the other but we are for justice and mercy and
truth and peace and true freedom, that these may be exalted in our
nation, and that goodness, righteousness, meekness, temperance, peace
and unity with God, and with one another, that these things may abound."
(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul Mobbs, Mobbs' Environmental Investigations,
tel./fax (+44/0)1295 261864

email - address@hidden
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mobbsey/index.html