Re: [Fsfe-uk] Liberated software

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Liberated software
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 04:36:28 +0100

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 10:26:30PM +0100, Sam Liddicott wrote:

> If copyleft has the more generic meaning then perpetual copyleft would
> be the original meaning. This would both me more clear as well as give
> the ability to more easily capture the public imagination and come up
> with a broad label to identify the philosophy behind sharing in the same
> way that the vague term "creative commons license" is beginning to.

I think you have a good point there.

> Perpetual copylleft sounds more noble than copyleft and this would
> surely be an asset for the FSF, would it make it worth them diluting the
> old meaning in order to get more coverage for the concept and thus also
> more covereage and recognition for perpetual copyleft than they
> currently have for "copyleft"? Sort of like having one floor our of a
> popular city hotel instead of a motel in the country?
>
> Is there any potential in this idea?

If you can sell it to the FSF, I think that's the best idea I've heard
so far.  Certainly I would go for that, I would happily use the term
'copyleft' as a generic and I think it's the sort of term which the
media would latch onto, it makes a good sound-bite ("What we are doing
is 'copy-left'.  It's like copyright but the other way round.").  I'd
hope that the other FS licences would use it as well.

Chris C