Re: [Fsfe-uk] Liberated software

From: Sam Liddicott
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Liberated software
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 22:26:30 +0100

Chris Croughton wrote:

If it didn't have that specific meaning, yes.  But I doubt that the FSF
would like me using it for the licences on my software.  If they would
like to withdraw that requirement, and use 'copyleft' to include the
BSD, Zlib and other licences which they consider 'free', I think it
would catch on very well and get a good following from people in other
fields (like authors, most authors I know aren't all that bothered about
copyright but their agents and the agents' lawyers are less flexible).
I know quite a number of songwriters and composers who support
'copyleft' in that sense with their IP as well (like composers pre-1800,
they regard imitation, parody and other 'modification' as a form of
flattery, not as a threat).
If copyleft has the more generic meaning then perpetual copyleft would be the original meaning. This would both me more clear as well as give the ability to more easily capture the public imagination and come up with a broad label to identify the philosophy behind sharing in the same way that the vague term "creative commons license" is beginning to.

Perpetual copylleft sounds more noble than copyleft and this would surely be an asset for the FSF, would it make it worth them diluting the old meaning in order to get more coverage for the concept and thus also more covereage and recognition for perpetual copyleft than they currently have for "copyleft"? Sort of like having one floor our of a popular city hotel instead of a motel in the country?

Is there any potential in this idea?

Sam