Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS grants for free software development

From: Kevin Donnelly
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS grants for free software development
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 10:48:38 +0100

On Friday 17 September 2004 9:08 am, Jason Clifford wrote:
> Yes that's my memory too however imposing an arbitrary limit that only
> members of AFFS will be able to apply for the grant, even if just for the
> first month, is a very bad idea in my view.

No, that's not the intention.  However, AFFS is taking on the admin role for
this, and surely that implies that members should have some minor advantages.

> AFFS membership is small. There are many very talented Free Software
> developers who are not in AFFS and may have ideas for projects that could
> greatly benefit the communities but wont have a chance at the grant due
> to such an unnecessary measure.

This is the first run at this, and I don't think anyone is going to be
disadvantaged if they have a good project.  Remember that there is no
deadline for applying - it's just that some people will have a week or two
more to think about applying :-)

You're absolutely right that there are problems with virtually any system that
could be devised for this, but the best is the enemy of the good, and I think
the feeling at the AGM was that the Committee should get on and do something.
We, the Committee, can of course be held accountable at next year's AGM for
any perceived failings, but let's see how things pan out first.

--

Pob hwyl (Best wishes)

Kevin Donnelly

www.kyfieithu.co.uk - Meddalwedd Rhydd yn Gymraeg