Re: [Fsfe-uk] Munich, swpat and Linux - possible in UK

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Munich, swpat and Linux - possible in UK
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 11:19:32 +0100

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 02:00:49AM +0100, Tom Chance wrote:

> After the recent news about the Green Party stirring the city of Munich into
> anti-software patent action [1],

I think anti-software sums it up.  It's a good example of people being
scared by SP issues, certainly, but putting the project "on hold" is not
something we want.  If the mayor's view has any effect then that will be
good (perhaps the German government is more responsive to their local
councils than the UK one, it could hardly be less).

> it made me think: would this be remotely possible in the UK? Are there
> any Government-related projects that use Linux

Are there any at all?  I suppose education is sort of "government
related", but not very.

> in a significant way, that we could use the exact same material on?
> (i.e. the report by the insurance company, and the report by the Green
> Party)

I don't think we want to scare them into dropping Linux or putting it on
hold.

(I love those long German sentences with all of the words in the wrong
order!)

Chris C