Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: EU Communication on the Management of Copyright and Re

From: Philip Hands
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: EU Communication on the Management of Copyright and Related Rights
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:27:25 +0100

MJ Ray wrote:
2. DRM must not override fair use/fair dealing provisions, or things like the disability discrimination act (need to check EUCD Art5(2)(b) about this).

I think you have the "fair use/fair dealing" concept a little out of kilter with UK law.

In the US, I have a feeling that they effectively have a right of fair use, whereas in the UK fair dealing is a defence against a copyright violation suit.

That being the case, the fact that DRM might make it physically impossible to get yourself into a situation where you might want to claim fair dealing as a defence probably doesn't mean that you've been deprived of any rights (at least as far as any IP lawyer is concerned)

If we build our arguments on the assumption that we have the right to perform the actions for which one might subsequently need to use fair dealing provisions to defend, then I think our argument may be built on sand.

Obviously, IANAL, so that may all be nonsense.

We might be better off arguing that various other EU counties (some of which appear to have something like Fair Use Rights) will be at an unfair advantage if we implement something that prevents us from reverse engineering, when they have reverse engineering built into their constitution as a right.

Cheers, Phil.