[Fsfe-uk] Draft letter for a BBC Creative Archive

From: MJ Ray
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Draft letter for a BBC Creative Archive
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:18:19 +0100

You can find more about the BBC's Creative Archive from links on http://www.public-domain.org/ -- Do the "Friends of the Creative Domain coalition" have a site? I'm also a bit hazy on where it has to be sent and by when. Help, please!

Here's a draft of the letter which I'd like AFFS to send. It is inspired by the other letters, but keeps itself to free software and open standards.

I mostly avoid saying that the archive's contents should be licensed as freely usable for any purpose, freely studyable(?) and adaptable to your needs, freely redistributable and freely distributable when modified, because I suspect this group may be divided on that, like some other free software groups.

Comments and improvements welcome!

Dear ___,

We write to express support for the concept of a BBC Creative Archive. We have the following concerns relating to its implementation.

#include <aboutaffs>

From its unique funding and heritage, the BBC is in a position to demonstrate the social and cutural benefits of combining simple technology with a rich collection of historical, educational and cultural material.

However, recent comments by the BBC about non-commercial use have caused concern that some licence fee-payers will have to pay a second time for access to this material. We hope that enforcement of usage restrictions will not be achieved through restrictive digital rights technology or proprietary platforms.

In order to achieve the full potential social and cultural benefits, the archive must be based on open standards which can be implemented by free software developers.

The BBC has supported such standards during its history. For example, the BBC is a member of the Digital Video Broadcasting project and widespread use of the DVB standards allows free software developers to produce set-top boxes. The BBC should be encouraged to continue its role in developing and supporting open standards, through making the creative archive available in open standard formats.

#include <signature>

--
MJR/slef
My Opinion Only and possibly not of any group I know.