Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: Creative Archive - Next Steps

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: Creative Archive - Next Steps
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 11:47:17 +0100

On 2004-06-01 03:12:12 +0100 Tom Chance <address@hidden> wrote:

I'd suggest this is something that everyone in the FFII, AFFS and UKCDR should be signing, as well as the organisations themselves.

Why? It appears to support anti-commercial licensing, which free software cannot have. If we want the BBC to release things from the archive as free software, then we should send a different letter requesting that, not sign this one.

Then again, it is being difficult enough to pursuade BBC to properly support open information formats on Astra 2. There's the BBC-co-invented teletext standard, the EIT-based 7-day EPG (programme guide), or MHEG standard ("digital text") which could be used as well as/instead of the Sky-bought OpenTV formats. That would allow open, Linux-based receivers to make better use of BBC's broadcasts.

--
MJR/slef
My Opinion Only and possibly not of any group I know.