Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Standing Orders, Postal Votes etc.

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Standing Orders, Postal Votes etc.
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 20:36:05 +0100

No-one has a Grant Plan? Let's see if I can lose my comments among the queued emails... ;-)

On 2004-05-21 16:35:29 +0100 John Seago <address@hidden> wrote:

[...] What does the AFFS want its Constitution, Standing Orders, Rules, Electoral Procedures, etc., to actually do?

Personally, I want a constitution to be a stable framework that is acceptable to members and bankers, while leaving opportunity to grow; I want SO/Rules that are the minimum procedures necessary to be generally recognised as fair and productive.

These are conflicting pressures: stability safeguards increase length, while I think most want a short constitution (judging from feedback about the length of the amendment); fairness means that everyone should have chance to speak, while productivity means you sometimes have to end a discussion before they have. I'm never going to be 100% comfortable, but there's probably some wide range which will make me happy enough.

[...] Perhaps the best option would be an overhaul, and re-adoption of Constitution, to be as concise as possible.

As you know, I'm reluctant to play with the constitution any more than absolutely necessary yet, because it's relatively well-worn, but known to be incomplete. If we can put the simplest possible completion to it in the form of the Rules and let them run for a year or so, then I'd agree with replacing it if doesn't work.

I am prepared to be of what help I can, however it has to be realised that prescription painkillers leave me in a condition [...]

The help is appreciated. I suspect we have enough members who "step out" occasionally that people can understand that. I think we bought ourselves 10 or 11 months now before this becomes urgent again, so as long as all-out war doesn't erupt among the new frontdesk, we should be OK.

--
MJR/slef
My Opinion Only and possibly not of any group I know.