[Fsfe-uk] Re: Standing Orders, Postal Votes etc.

From: John Seago
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Standing Orders, Postal Votes etc.
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 16:35:29 +0100

 MJ Ray <address@hidden> wrote:

> The last copy I posted (I've not worked on this while actively
> treasurer AFAIK)... <snip>  ...If you want any other documents
> from that era, I can probably post them for you.

Thank you for the pointers, I have bookmarked them

> On the charity aspect, the cautions of Martin Keegan and Jason
> Clifford seem as relevant today as they were last year ;-)

This would seem to raise another point in addition to the ones I raised
between digests. What does the AFFS want its Constitution, Standing
Orders, Rules, Electoral Procedures, etc., to actually do? Having spent a
considerable portion of my life sitting on Committees, (a process which
doesn't seem to achieve much), I have arrived at the view that
Constitutions, Rules, Electoral Procedures, Standing Orders, etc. should
be as simple and concise as possible.

Having looked at the Constitution it is obvious that there are some points
of debate/confusion within it. (None of those who worked on it should take
this as a criticism, Rule Books/Constitutions are horrendously difficult,
particularly when it comes to the overall view). Perhaps the best option
would be an overhaul, and re-adoption of Constitution, to be as concise as
possible. And dare I say it, a reduction in the quorum. Electoral
Procedures need to be defined, and then Standing Orders. A guide to
procedural matters at General Meetings can be easily borrowed from any
number of existing organisations.

I am prepared to be of what help I can, however it has to be realised that
prescription painkillers leave me in a condition where I lack not only the
intellect but memory I used to have, and I am therefore likely to give
priority to going out to play, rather than pursuing a vigorous deadline
for delivery of promised results.

--
John Seago
Linux User #219566 (http://counter.li.org)