Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: [discuss] Open source software News

From: Chris Sherlock
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: [discuss] Open source software News
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 13:13:34 -0000

Sander Vesik wrote:
Chris Sherlock wrote:

I suppose this seems like a fair enough answer... I guess you see software more as an infrastructure that the govt should maintain and develop. I'm still not so sure...

What I *do* think, however, is that governments should make it compulsory for software companies (and peripheral companies, in particular!) to open their code. Do you know the number of times I've had to scrap or make do with 2nd-best because I couldn't see the source code of some crappy product???? :) I guess that's why I only run Linux now (especially now I've worked out CUPS and Samba).

I don't agree with this - governemnts dictating things about software and hardware have so far only given lots of negative results. The goverment should require that things it buys have open interfaces (and this applies to both hardware and software).

Surely forcing the opening of code would give more reliable products! But I realise that what I'd like to see and do and what is actually practical are different things. I think I also want to see govts force the opening of products 'cause I like tinkering with source code :)

Open interfaces and standards that force compatibility are the next best option, I think. I think that organisations shouldn't be allowed to force you into using their application because they don't publish their APIs or explain how the file format works. I think they should definitely be made to give this information, or if they don't people should be allowed to work it out themselves (through whatever means they want) and then should be allowed to publish this information.

My limited understanding of the DMCA is that this isn't allowed and has the potential to put you in jail? I'm not a USian, btw, is this true?

> This gives you a good
> balance and keeps most of the lobbyists from paying attention and
> screewing things royaly up.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this. Could you clarify?

Chris