Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: OSS Watch inaugural conference, 11 December 2003

From: Kevin Donnelly
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: OSS Watch inaugural conference, 11 December 2003
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 11:52:09 +0000

On Thursday 27 November 2003 8:07 am, Marc Eberhard wrote:
> > The list of presenters at the conference includes:
> > Nick McGrath, Head of Platform Strategy, Microsoft Ltd

Perhaps I'm being a boring old fart, but why is an open-source group at an
open-source conference having an MS presenter?  Presumably it's in some sort
of misguided attempt to be "fair" and hear "both sides of the story".

But MS doesn't actually *offer* any open-source software in the standard
definition of the term - "3. Derived Works: The license must allow
modifications and derived works, and must allow them to be distributed under
the same terms as the license of the original software." (and even patches,
the next step down from this - item 4 - can't be distributed under the MS
shared-source program AFAIK).

I also can't see Steve Ballmer saying, "Look guys, for the next WinHEC
conference I think we need to introduce some balance and let those
open-source dudes get some time.  Sure, they'll be mauled, but it's the right
thing to do - see if Bruce Perens is available.  And I think we should offer
some floorspace to some of those wacky projects they're always on about - you
know, that Patchy webserver and that MySquishy database thing.  It'll give
our guys something to compare our own great products to."

Talking to those who might be converted to FLOSS, MS will say it's important
to hear both sides of the story, purely in order to introduce some doubts in
their minds about changing.  Talking to those who are already in their
pockets, MS will not extend the same argument, for precisely the same reason.
Why is this not obvious to the people organising this and other conferences?
Balance, by definition, has to be balanced.

On this basis alone, I doubt whether there would be much point going to this
conference.  As MJ will know, I am quite content with the concept of
"open-source", but this sort of timid scheduling ("let's mention the
possibility of alternatives, but let's not annoy MS too much, just in case -
after all, they might fund us to do some independent research") is giving OSS
a bad name.  This group seems to be an attempt, all too common in the
academic world, to jump on the back of the latest bandwagon and try to
salvage some "relevance" from it as a "clearing-house" or "information
centre", until the next "new thing" comes along.  Presumably this is being
used as the basis for a grant application somewhere.

Perhaps David Tannenbaum, who is a researcher at OSSWatch (and will be
presenting at the conference), and who has asked this list for some
assistance recently on the free software movement in general, could pass
these points on to the organisers.  Better yet, perhaps he could offer some
justification as to why anyone should take OSSWatch seriously?

As I said, I'm a boring old fart.

--

Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly