Re: [Fsfe-uk] McCarthy report withdrawn

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] McCarthy report withdrawn
Date: 28 Aug 2003 17:34:06 +0100

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 16:52, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> The McCarthy report HAS been withdrawn! (forwarded mail at bottom)
>
> I've confirmed this with a phone call to the European Parliament
> Office in Ireland.  They said that this happens when a directive
> is very contraversial or when too many amendments are proposed.

Wow, excellent news - thanks for following up and posting this Ciaran.
This looks like great work by all those who spent time in Brussels
talking to the relevant politicians.

I guess the question is now, how do we step the pressure up? Hopefully
the FFII guys will continue to take the lead as successfully as they
have done.

> On the phone, she said that it is *definitely* withdrawn.  This
> situation can be reversed but it's highly unlikely.

If it's possible to get it back on the agenda, we should watch them
fairly carefully - they have been caught trying to push things through
before.