Re: [Fsfe-uk] McCarthy report withdrawn

From: Ciaran O'Riordan
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] McCarthy report withdrawn
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:12:21 +0100

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 05:48:41PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2003-08-28 16:52:29 +0100 Ciaran O'Riordan <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> >The McCarthy report HAS been withdrawn! (forwarded mail at bottom)
[...]
> Please let us know what we could do next

The JURI committee originally endorsed this directive by a majority of
~64%, which I hear is unusually low.  Maybe we will be able to sway
some of the JURI committee towards gauranteeing the non-patentability
of s/w.

We have shown that there is a lot of opposition to this directive, and
we've convinced many MEPs that software patents are bad, but I think
we still have to prove to them that this directive will legalise
software patents.  (and business & teaching method patents)

JURI's FAQ on the directive is *very* insightful:
http://europa.eu.int/comm/internal_market/en/indprop/comp/02-32.htm

We know this info is ALL false.  MEPs are asked to believe us?
We have to convince them, using the words of the directive, make
it real simple, they'll appreciate us doing their work for them.

That's my intended angle of anyway.  If I work on another letter,
I'll send out requests for names of endorsers again.

> but I do not
> share your desire to abuse donkeys ;-)

Actally, the donkeys don't seem to mind :)