Re: [Fsfe-uk] File format import/export

From: ian
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] File format import/export
Date: 05 Aug 2003 10:59:01 +0100

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 10:00, Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> Only if demand for the OO file format grows, i.e. significant customers
> have to produce an OO file alongside the MSO one.  If MSO can't export
> OO then the customer has no choice but to obtain OO to import the MSO
> file and then save natively.

Except that the person they are exporting to will have OO.o which can
then import the .doc file - unless MS do something with MSO 2003 to make
that very difficult to do which is always a possibility.

>  This means they have both and might prefer
> OO having seen it in the flesh.  If MSO adds OO export then some
> customers, maybe many, will stick with MSO for all the perceived
> benefits it has over OO, e.g. `Microsoft' label on the box, `support',
> etc.
>
> I'm not arguing it's worth doing, just pointing out one scenario where
> MS may add OO export.

I think the main reason would be if OASIS make it an Internationally
agreed standard and large M$ customers say we only buy software that
conforms to international standards. There are some pretty influential
members of OASIS some who are primarily customers rather than IT
suppliers eg Boeing.

--
ian <address@hidden>