Re: [Fsfe-uk] File format import/export

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] File format import/export
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 10:00:15 +0100

Hi Ian,

> Why would MS produce import and export filters for OO.o? Answer if it
> is in their interests.

Agreed.

> MS might want to import OO.o docs but I'm not sure they want people
> exporting docs in that format.

I'm sure they don't.  :-)

> Besides, the OO.o import and export filters for Word are very good and
> improving so is their really a need from the MS perspective?

Only if demand for the OO file format grows, i.e. significant customers
have to produce an OO file alongside the MSO one.  If MSO can't export
OO then the customer has no choice but to obtain OO to import the MSO
file and then save natively.  This means they have both and might prefer
OO having seen it in the flesh.  If MSO adds OO export then some
customers, maybe many, will stick with MSO for all the perceived
benefits it has over OO, e.g. `Microsoft' label on the box, `support',
etc.

I'm not arguing it's worth doing, just pointing out one scenario where
MS may add OO export.

Cheers,

Ralph.