Re: [Fsfe-uk] Threat of a good example

From: Richard Smedley
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Threat of a good example
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 09:36:55 +0100

Steve Kehoe wrote:

> I would like to take this further and put together
> "incubator" proposals for Open Source policy choices
> in education, government, health and public
> administration generally.
> For this I would appreciate assistance in gathering
> data on current "ad-hoc" initiatives in UK schools,
> colleges, hospitals, etc. where Open Source
> deployments have demonstrated quantitative as well as
> qualitative added value. The broader the spectrum of
> usage, coupled with innovative Open Source based
> solutions the better.

A volunteer! - Good man ;-)

Start by going to
http://www.suse.de/uk/company/schools/
and getting on the suse-uk-schools mailing list.

Almost all of the individual schools using
Free Software are subscribed here - whether they
use FreeBSD or whatever.

Felsted school in Essex is very good - but not
a state-funded school.

> Cost is obviously a significant issue for policy
> makers  but concerns about on-going support and
> training can still push them to select the <big brand
> name> unless we can show otherwise.

Which, of course, is another reason for tackling
this from above as a package of measures to be
implemented by government: deployment, support,
training, cuddly penguin toys (the last one may
not be essential ;-)

> Comments welcome (keep the flames down}

:s/Open Source/Free Software/

- Richard