Re: [Fsfe-uk] Where are we now?

From: Philip Hands
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Where are we now?
Date: 21 Dec 2001 02:49:41 +0000

Alex Hudson <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, 2001-12-19 at 17:58, Philip Hands wrote:
> > I seem to remember that the reason for rejecting Charity status was
> > something to do with not being able to get involved with politics.
>
> I think it was twofold - basically, we couldn't be 'just' a charity,
> because we want to be political. We could be a Ltd. + Charity, but the

Er, no -- I think you misunderstand me.

I didn't intend to mean that the 1990 Trust use the ltd + charity
cludge to get around charity restrictions (as discussed at the meeting
in Brum.)

I mean that the 1990 trust is a Company Limited by Guarantee, and a
Registered Charity, all at the same time (the one organisation) and
that they clearly do overtly political stuff, and that they continue
to get away with it, apparently entirely within the law.

Maybe I've misunderstood, but that's how they described it to me, and
I did ask them if they meant that there were two associated entities,
but apparently not.

Cheers, Phil.
--
Say no to software patents!  http://petition.eurolinux.org/