[Fsfe-france] The Economics of Open Content

From: Laurent GUERBY
Subject: [Fsfe-france] The Economics of Open Content
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 23:45:33 +0100

Sans doute des amis a Yann Moulier Boutang :).

Laurent

Subject: [ipr] "The Economics of Open Content", MIT, Jan 23-24
From:    "Darius Cuplinskas" <address@hidden>
Date:    Tue, January 10, 2006 2:30 am
To:      address@hidden

"The Economics of Open Content"

www.intelligenttelevision.com/opencontent.htm

A new documentary television production company in New York Intelligent
Television produces documentary programs for PBS and other networks.
Every program we produce is made in close association with a library,
museum, archive, or university.  Among our partners are the Library of
Congress, the Smithsonian National Museum of American History, MIT, the
University of Virginia, Columbia University, USC, UCB, and the American
Antiquarian Society.

With the generous support of the Hewlett Foundation, I'm serving as the
principal investigator of a year-long project I have designed on "the
economics of open content."  The project is a systematic look into why and
how it makes sense for commercial companies and noncommercial institutions
active in culture, education, and media to make media and certain
materials widely available for free (and also how free services are
morphing into commercial companies while retaining their peer-to-peer
quality).  The project builds upon written work that I completed earlier
this year with the support of the Mellon Foundation and Ithaka on
"Marketing Culture in the Digital Age"
(http://www.intelligenttelevision.com/research2.html), and also upon my
work as one of the ten members of the Mellon Foundation-supported national
ACLS Commission on Cyberinfrastructure in the Humanities
(http://www.acls.org/cyberinfrastructure/cyber.htm).  The project also
informs the new economic models that In!
 telligent Television has been establishing for our own documentary work
(see:
http://creativearchive.bbc.co.uk/news/archives/2005/04/transcript_pete_1.html).

With the support of the Hewlett Foundation and MIT Open Courseware,
Intelligent Television is organizing a two-day symposium at MIT on "The
Economics of Open Content," on January 23 and 24, 2006.  We are bringing
together commercial representatives of most media industries--publishing,
film, music, television, video, software, education/courseware,
gaming--together with representatives of cultural and educational
institutions who are innovative in this area and legal and business minds
in the academy (Eric von Hippel from MIT Sloan, Terry Fisher from Harvard
Law, Yochai Benkler from Yale Law) who are studying how to make this
happen faster and better.  People from Google, Yahoo!, Microsoft, Apple,
AOL, Sony, Sprint, Samsung, Fujitsu, etc., will be there.  New Yorker
economics columnist and bestselling author (The Wisdom of Crowds) James
Surowiecki will keynote at the Cambridge meeting.  Jim's January 23
presentation will be titled "Openness as an Ethos."  Program officers fr!
 om the Hewlett Foundation and Mellon Foundation will participate as well.

It should be a very productive meeting.  The audio files/proceedings from
our previous Hewlett-funded symposium--from September 30, 2005, focused on
television, video, and film--drew 140 people, including participants from
Yahoo!, AOL, and other commercial companies; the Internet Archive's
Brewster Kahle keynoted.  Audio files from that meeting are now up online
at:
http://www.conference.archival.tv/index.php?title=Program

Peter B. Kaufman