fsedu-developers

Re: [Fsedu-developers] semanticWiki code so far

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: Re: [Fsedu-developers] semanticWiki code so far
Date: 02 Nov 2003 12:37:57 +0000

James Michael DuPont <address@hidden> writes:

> I was just planning on recoding the oddmuse to emit rdf. The wiki
> data?  well the idea is to make a file per page, each page would
> have xrefs to the other pages.

Perhaps you should hack Infinite Monkey (UseMod 2) instead.  My idea
is to shift the backend (files on disk) into a class, and the frontend
(XHTML output) into a class, and let people override these in their
customize files.  I need to customize the header's XHTML dynamically.
I also need to be able to return different documents -- the portals,
not really the content pages -- based on cookie data; this can be done
with a "custom directory" layout.  The biggest addition is that of a
central "tags" database: named tags attached to documents, with or
without values.

I am painfully (again) learning perl (again).

Finally, I need to be able to cache the pieces: the header must be
regenerated every time the tags db changes, portal pages also need to
be regenerated every time the tags change, but content pages only need
to be regenerated every time their content or their *own* tags change.

All of this can be done by designing the backend and frontend classes
correctly (give enough override hooks, that is), yet keeping the
"normal" Infinite Monkey behavior the same, and preferably adding a
tags daemon.

Yes, tags are metadata.  This is why I wanted to know what you were
planning on doing with RDF.

--
Stephen Compall or s11 or sirian

Q:      Heard about the <ethnic> who couldn't spell?
A:      He spent the night in a warehouse.

MD2 encryption BLU-114/B HAMASMOIS wire transfer Qaddafi North Korea
Reno Roswell Sundevil bomb MD4 Ceridian import Majic