fsedu-developers

Re: [Fsedu-developers] semanticWiki code so far

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [Fsedu-developers] semanticWiki code so far
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 10:35:19 -0800 (PST)

--- Stephen Compall <address@hidden> wrote:
> James Michael DuPont <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I was just planning on recoding the oddmuse to emit rdf. The wiki
> > data?  well the idea is to make a file per page, each page would
> > have xrefs to the other pages.
>

> Perhaps you should hack Infinite Monkey (UseMod 2) instead.

I would like to be compatible with oddmuse. I will look into infinite
monkey.
A reuable perl class would be good. I think that an abstract model is
in order here. From that we can generate code to implement the model.

>My idea
> is to shift the backend (files on disk) into a class, and the
> frontend
> (XHTML output) into a class, and let people override these in their
> customize files.

Subclassing works great in perl.

>I need to customize the header's XHTML dynamically.

Ok. Html::Template is good for that.

> I also need to be able to return different documents -- the portals,

OK, this is like a workflow system. Currently i am disecting a whole
bunch of database models, that will handle almost all of everything:

http://introspector.sourceforge.net/2003/10/schemas/

> not really the content pages -- based on cookie data; this can be
> done
> with a "custom directory" layout.

You mean sessions.

>The biggest addition is that of a
> central "tags" database: named tags attached to documents, with or
> without values.

Predicates in prolog, properties in rdf.

> I am painfully (again) learning perl (again).

If you need any help...

> Finally, I need to be able to cache the pieces: the header must be
> regenerated every time the tags db changes,

I hope that the changes will go through the business logic application
server.

>portal pages also need to
> be regenerated every time the tags change, but content pages only
> need
> to be regenerated every time their content or their *own* tags
> change.

ok. Dependancies.

> All of this can be done by designing the backend and frontend classes
> correctly (give enough override hooks, that is), yet keeping the
> "normal" Infinite Monkey behavior the same, and preferably adding a
> tags daemon.

I dont think we need to make this in perl. We need to make it
accessable via perl.

Redland might be a good option.

> Yes, tags are metadata.  This is why I wanted to know what you were
> planning on doing with RDF.

Good. I think you should take a look at redland as a storage medium.
mike

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/