Re: FT_Select_Size

From: folkert
Subject: Re: FT_Select_Size
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 17:41:42 +0100

> >> `available_sizes` is mentioned in the documentation of
> >> `FT_Select_Size` ??? it seems that you've missed that, so I wonder
> >> whether you have a suggestion to improve the documentation...
> >
> > Personally I would add a get-function to provide this information.
> > I was also looking for a function-call and not something part of a
> > structure.
>
> We won't add such a function ??? FreeType is an old library with an old
> API, and it doesn't make sense IMHO to blow up the interface with
> 'modern' getters for each and any variable in `FT_Face` (and all the
> other, big structures).  I considuer such functions more suitable for
> object-oriented languages like C++.

Ok!

> Anyway, you've not answered my question, so I ask again: Do you have a
> suggestion how to improve the *documentation* (and not the API)?

My project has not finished yet, is I'll most likely dive into the
freetype documentation again soon. I'll let you know if I have any
suggestions.

Well one thing that jumps to mind: maybe add more FAQs. Things like
finding out how to
- find dimensions of a bit of text
- code example for retrieving for rendering emoji's
- etc
For example the emoji thing would've helped. I now had to find at
multiple sources and by experimenting how to render it. E.g. that under
certain circumstances the loading of a glyph seems to succeed, yet the
dimensions of it are 0 - this was then caused by setting the size to a
too-small. Like 64 instead of 103 like what was required for emoji. Oh
and that LCD has a width * 3 while BGRA does not have width * 4. I hope
I make sense :-) Feel free to ask if you want to know more.