Re: FT Performance Regression?

From: Jamie Dale
Subject: Re: FT Performance Regression?
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 02:58:15 +0000

> Jamie, could you suggest a documentation enhancement to cover the
difficulty you've experienced?

I think the difficulty was just caused by the regression. Usually you
wouldn't give a clip rect unless you know what you're doing, but the
regression required one to avoid the crash, without any hints about how to
calculate a suitable default.

> This is definitely not a bottle neck

Maybe, but 1/3rd of a function call being spent not doing actual work is
definitely concerning in a world where you only have 33.3ms or 16.6ms to do
all your work that frame.

It looks like setjmp in FreeType is basically used to do exception-like
handling in C, in lieu of using and checking return values?

Looking through the mailing list it seems to come up periodically, mainly
when people are either missing setjmp, or have a really bad implementation
of it.

-Jamie.