Re: [ft] Rendering Arabic

From: Simon Cozens
Subject: Re: [ft] Rendering Arabic
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 10:30:19 +0000

On 04/11/2019 10:19, Tim Orton wrote:
I can render simple text with freetype, and I have just started using libraqm for glyph shaping, for complex text. Basically, I can get information from libraqm about the glyph index, offset, advance, etc... but I don't know how to use that to get the bitmap of the glyph to render. Sorry this question is more about libraqm than freetype, but I can't find another community to ask this question.

Hi again Tim,

Actually, this *is* a freetype question! There is a division of labour between the shaping engine and the glyph rendering engine. Shaping (libraqm) tells you what glyph you want and where to put it. Rendering tells you what it looks like.

So, you've already got the glyph selection and positioning information from libraqm. That's step one. Step two depends on a bit on what kind of canvas you're rendering onto, but the basic idea is that you can now (using freetype) select the glyph from the font by ID:

        FT_Load_Char( face, glyph_index, FT_LOAD_DEFAULT );

and then you can get its bitmap as you normally would and position it onto your canvas in the place that libraqm told you to put it.

Hope that is clearer - if not, keep asking (you may need to show some code)!

Simon