Re: Apply #57432 fix to Ins_CALL too? And round mode 3

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: Apply #57432 fix to Ins_CALL too? And round mode 3
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 17:51:30 +0000 (UTC)

On Thursday, 22 October 2020, 21:54:02 GMT+8, Alexei Podtelezhnikov <apodtele@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) What is the Gray (case 0) compensation if not zero?
> 2) What is the Windows API to adjust it, if any?
> 3) Is that really enum? How sure you are? Why do we have to bend over
backwards to deal with case 3?

> Or, maybe just maybe, case 3 is simply equal to case 0 and be done with it.

> 4) Why can't I use undocumented/illegal/implementation-defined value
anyway I please?

See
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/opentype/spec/tt_instructions#compensating-for-the-engine-characteristics

It says "three values are possible: gray=0..."

You cannot arbitrarily decide 3 is a valid value - it just isn't. Freetype treats 3 the same as 0 (in an unofficial / undocumented way) because that's what MS rasterizer does.